Monday, August 27, 2018

PowerTech CD 7000 CD 8000 Generator - Front Pulley Seal Leaking

So now my PowerTech CD 7000 Generator is leaking oil from the front pulley seal, which is on the side opposite from the generator head.

The motor is a Kubota Diesel D905-E

Could not find any definitive information on what Oil seal to use.

The amazing David at Oddessey Power in San Diego helped me find the right front oil seal!!!

This is the picture of the packaging . . .  $~25.00 . . . whatever I needed it.



So once I took the radiator off and got to the blower fan, I used an impact gun to take off the blower wheel.

When I took off the wheel I could see the front pulley.  It came off so easily in my hand I didn't have time to look to see how it goes back on.  I just assumed it was keyed or something.  No matter something to worry about later.


 The above picture is after I took the seal out with a screwdriver.  It came out really easy.





After looking at the seal seat, I saw some black gunk in the seat.  It was the felt from the front of the seal??  Some how it made it around the crank and was under the seal.



And it was plugging up the oil drain back hole . . . .  

I pulled all of the felt out of the hole.

UPDATE: 8/20/2018

DONT FORGET TO REMOVE THE SLIDING COLLAR AROUND THE SHAFT BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE SEAL - THE NEW SEAL WILL FAIL IMMEDIATELY - ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

I don't have a picture of just the collar, but its the ring around the splined shaft in the above picture.  It just slides and turns freely on the crankshaft.

1.  Install the new seal.

Super easy install.  I used a socket that cleared the crank and fit the seal diameter.

2.  Lube the collar with engine oil -  put some on the seal also if you can.  It won't hurt.

3. Then slide the collar over the shaft and push it through the seal.  The collar pushes the seal inward and seats the seal to the collar.  

UPDATE: Finished.





Now for installing the pulley . . . its not keyed and its not obiously marked. Its definetly counterweighted so I know it goes on only one way.  

Need to look at it again.  One of the above pictures of the end of the crank has a punch mark, the pully MUST be marked.



Hmm the aluminum washer doesn't look factory blue . . . what happens if I pop it off.

Yep.  There is the corresponding mark on the pulley.

Todd







No comments: