Thursday, December 4, 2008

Apple Time Machine Backups With OS X Server Sharepont

I'm using Time Machine on my users desktops as a secondary backup to Retrospect and had a problem with users not being able to connect.

I am using a OS X.5.5 Server as the backup location and the share point is setup as a Time Machine Backup destination aka the check box, and the permissions are setup correctly.

I had all of the users running on the system except one that was previously working(The physical computer was swapped out, so the hardware address changed). I kept getting a error that the user was not authorized to use the volume. I deleted the users sparse image to zero success. Started and started the client, setup the sharepoint again. Everything I could think of . . . .

I knew that was garbage so I decided to ssh into the volume on the server and look at the share point with the ls -al command.

Low and behold there are files that are hidden security key files and only visable by using the -al modifier.

The control files are all named .HardwareAddress

The backup destination are all networkname_Hardware addresss.sparseimage

The file names correspond to the individual sparseimage file names(networkname_Hardware addresss.sparseimage). You could also locate the offending file name by the owner of the file if your sharepoint is setup that way.

To make a previous time machine backup work with a new Hardware Address or new File Sharing Name, you'll need to rename the networkname_Hardware addresss.sparseimage file to include the new Hardware address or File Sharing name respectivly.

You'll also need to delete the users .HWaddress file if the client doesn't want to connect


No comments: